Monday, July 25, 2011

Atherton Tablelands


The Atherton Tablelands were another unexpected twist from what I went to Australia expecting. I had no idea what to look for on my own in the expansive and wild outback, so I decided that we would be better off booking a tour rather than renting a car and using a map to get around.


This turned out to be a great idea because I came across the #1 recommended tour in Cairns on TripAdvisor and got to meet Barefoot Tours' Captain Matty and his awesome wife! Captain Matty has a great sense of humor, is full of information about every site and vista along the way, and takes care of all the driving throughout the day; meaning, I got to nap along the road. :)


Here are some of our favorite sites from our day out with Barefoot Tours:

First, the 500-year-old Cathedral Fig Tree:
Joe and the stranger fig
Joe's photography skills are so good! <3
Strangler fig et moi
Next up was the crater close to the Cathedral Fig. Nobody knows how deep it is, but the information kiosk said it is a "diatreme" that was caused by a "violent gas explosion." lolz.

Our tour guide telling us about this "big hole" in his New Zealand accent had me concealing giggles.
Next stop, Lake Eacham. Apparently it's an extinct volcanic crater formed about 12,000 years ago.

Joe dropped in the water for a bit, but I was content to watch. It was about 65 degrees outside, brrr.
Had to go swimming around like he's never been in a lake before. We're from Michigan, people.
Highlight of Lake Eacham for me. Turtles who breathe out of their butts!? Hi, I'm 12 years old.
 The moment had come! We were going to see some gorgeous waterfalls at Dinner Falls.

I'm on the left, plugging my nose as I come up for air. The water was ICE COLD.
Your heroes, in the ice cold water. Honestly, people would jump in and come up for air shrieking/in shock.
The next stop was for "pie" at an Aussie pub. Pie is sold all over the place, but they aren't talking about tasty desserts, they're talking about a pot pie. Still good! [No pics!]


Then, the famous Millaa Millaa Falls. We were told that Herbal Essences shot a commercial there, and I definitely believe it, but I can't find a video!

Beautiful waterfalls!
I say fool me once, shame on me. I got pictures of Joe in the water though. Again, brrr.
 We got back on the bus and popped out again at Ellinjaa Falls.

Unbeknownst to me, I had a fever. I'm wearing three layers and people are swimming.
And finally, Josephine Falls

There was a natural waterslide on these smooth rocks. How amazing. Here's Joe doing a standard waterslide maneuver (he's on the left, turn off your sound):



And then, mixing it up with some x-treme watersliding (turn off your sound, watch the far left, wait until after the girls go):

I'm so glad we had time during Joe's leave to see these natural wonders! We're going back on our 50th anniversary world tour (this is when we've decided we'll be rich) when it's warm so we can actually play in the water. It was too cold and I was sick! Still, epic.

1 comment:

  1. Love the commentary and the pics, unable to view the videos, says currently unavailable.

    ReplyDelete